Characteristics of a Learning Agile Person
According to a recent white paper titled Learning About Learning Agility from Columbia University’s Teachers College, people who are learning agile usually exhibit the following six characteristics:
- unafraid to challenge the status quo
- remain calm in the face of difficulty
- take time to reflect on their experiences
- purposefully put themselves in challenging situations
- open to learning
- resist the temptation to become defensive in the face of adversity
I can’t stress enough that Learning Agility is what we call “the magic multiplier” of potential because it doesn’t predict who is a high potential by itself.
There are plenty of people who are learning agile but are not motivated and driven to get to the top of the organization. They are not willing to make the sacrifices and trade-offs needed to get to the top. On the other hand, there are plenty of smart and motivated individuals who do not learn from their experiences and stumble and fall when faced with a new and challenging assignment.